How much time do you spend every week doing the boring, mundane, recurring jobs that need to be done to keep your business going but that don’t contribute to making you money? Next time you find yourself doing one of those sorts of tasks, ask yourself – how can I create a system for this, or is there a tool or resource that can help me do this more efficiently?
Here are a seven ideas for using systems, tools and resources to save time and reduce stress and frustration.
- If you find yourself writing the same email over and over again, create a template. The best place to do that is in your CRM but if you don’t have a CRM you can do it in Outlook or Gmail (Just Google “How to create an email template in Gmail or outlook).
- If you find yourself creating similar documents over and over again (contracts, proposals, reports etc) create a word template and then you can simply fill in the spaces to suit the occasion.
- If you have to do the same set of tasks on a recurring basis, create a checklist. Then every time you have to do that set of tasks pull out the checklist and off you go. You can create reusable checklists in Evernote and To-doist.
- If there are things you need to do at set times but can easily forget, set up reminder systems. You can easily set reminders in Google Calendar or Todoist. You can set them to come by SMS or email. Whichever you prefer.
- If you are always losing documents on your computer set up a filing system in your “My Documents”. If you have a filing system but somehow you still can’t find things then create a document describing the filing system and print it out. Then when you want to file something or you are looking for a document you can go to the right place in your filing system.
- Have a heap of websites or online resources that you like to refer to back to and find yourself spending hours looking for them every time you want one? Store them in Evernote and you’ll have them at your fingertips every-time.
- Use tools to make life easier. I’ve already mentioned Todoist, and Evernote…. Here are 97 more. Take the time to find the ones that work for you and use them to save your precious time.
What systems and tools do you use to save time and make your working life easier? Share your ideas and help others save time as well.